Sunday, September 14, 2014

Bonnard's Art

Pierre Bonnard was a french artist, he is most known for his paintings of his wife Marthe in the bath. 



Japonisme (1888)
This is my favorite painting from Bonnard. He uses such basic colors but there is so much going on. It makes me think of the life that I knew he lead which consisted a lot of him at home because Marthe was to paranoid to leave their home. When did he see this happening, Before they were together? When he would sneak out? As a boy? Sadly we wont know. 




The Bath (1925)
This is a painting of Bonnard's formally mentioned wife.  I like this painting not because of the technique or the context but because of what it must have took for him to paint this. As we read Bonnard's wife Marthe  was completely paranoid and had other personal and emotional issues. I can only imagine what kind of convincing it took Bonnard to convince Marthe to let him paint her. I also like that Bonnard always painted her as a young woman but in reality when this painting was created she would have been in her mid-fifties 


The White Cat (1894)
I like how Bonnard took something as common as this cat and made it his own and unusual. It feels realistic but stretched. Plus it's a cat so that's cool. 





No comments:

Post a Comment